Windesign Tillers & Extensions
Recently we have updated our Windesign tillers and extensions which are now branded with our new Windesign logo.
- 652850 - Carbon Laser® tiller - The low profile of this carbon Laser tiller, in combination with the high stiffness and low weight creates an amazing light feeling when steering the boat. With anti-chafe plate. With its weight less than 300 grams the Windesign Laser tiller is the lightest of them all. This carbon tiller is supplied with a mounting plate which is suitable for all Windesign tiller extensions.
- 652112 - 20mm Carbon tiller extension - Ultra stiff, lightweight carbon tiller extension. Weighs only 160 grams. Supplied with rubber joint with rope core, releasable base with pin and tubing and 100cm long hi-tech X-grip. Tube diameter: 20mm. Length: 120cm. Also available in 190 cm as Contender tiller extension and 250 cm as 49er tiller extension and 49erFX tiller extension.
- 652312 - 16mm Deluxe aluminium tiller extension - Made of black anodized 16 mm aluminium tube. The aluminium tiller extensions are fitted with a releasable rubber joint / swivel and an eva foam grip. The releasable rubber joint / swivel has a rope core and is mounted with an aluminium pin only. The pin is kept in place by a piece of heat-shrinkable tubing for easy replacement. With the available lengths from 60 to 120 cm, the popular 16mm Deluxe tiller extensions from Windesign are suitable for almost all dinghies.
- 652900/30 - Laser® Deluxe/Standard aluminium tiller - Windesign manufactures a 32 mm aluminium Laser® tiller. The tiller has at the outer end a precise molded anodized aluminium insert. The inner end is sealed with a plastic cap. The tiller comes in a Deluxe and a Standard version. The Deluxe version is 25 microns black anodized and has a stainless steel anti-chafe protecting plate for the traveller line. An aluminium clamcleat for the rudderblade line is mounted on the side of the tube. The Laser tiller is also available with an aluminium Deluxe tiller extension 652910. The Standard tiller is silver anodized and has no chafe plate and no cleat.
When you bring your boat to a regatta, training, holiday or somewhere else, it's important to be well prepared before leaving. If you have an Optimist, Laser or other dinghy and transport it on your roof or on a trailer; the tips and tricks below are usefull for all.
- Padded roof rack cover - When you transport your boat on the roof of your car, it's usefull to protect your roof rack against damaging your boat. Padded roof rack covers are available to protect your boat and give more grip in fastening your boat on the roof rack. The Optiparts padded roof rack protectors have a foam inner and are covered with heavy duty nylon cloth with velcro fastener. Easy to apply and to be placed in the right position. Length 50 cm. Sold per piece.
- Load straps for roof rack and trailer - To secure your dinghy to your trailer or roof rack, we advise to use long and durable load straps. To protect your hull against damaging, the Optiparts load straps have protection behind the buckle and are 6 meter long; long enough to put twice over your boat.
- Hull cover - During transport we advise to use a hull cover to protect your hull against chippings from the road. Nothing worse than arriving at a regatta and have damage to repair. The top quality hull covers from Optiparts and Windesign for Optimist and Laser are made of Moistureguard 2000; a heavy duty 900D breathable polyester cloth with a polyurethane membrane. Moistureguard reduces the risk of blisters. The hull covers are easy to install with the supplied straps and adjustable buckles.
- Foil bag - We all know that it's easy to damage your Optimist and Laser foils. To protect your foils against having chips on the edges it's recommended to use a foil bag for your rudder and daggerboard. The Optiparts and Windesign foil bags for Optimist and Laser have seperate compartments for rudder, daggerboard, tiller and accessories like sheet, battens and wind indicator. Carried out with velcro closure, carrying handle and supplied with adjustable and detachable carrying strap.
- Laser® Rig Support - Don't struggle anymore with fitting your spars in your car. With the Windesign Laser® Rig Support you can easily take your Laser boom, top and bottom mast without damaging the deck during transport. The high grade plastic molded rig support comes in two pieces; the front piece fits in the masthole and the back piece fits between the deck. The spars are fixed to the support with shockcord. In addition to the transport benefit, this rig support offers another benefit when storing your Laser; when placing your top cover over the rig support, your cover will stay upwards and the water will run off.
The new sailing season is starting soon. This is the time to prepare yourself and your Optimist. After a year of intense sailing your Optimist hull and hardware will show signs of wear and tear on several places. Before you start sailing again, it's very important to check your Optimist carefully. Where to start? Use the Optimist season preparation tips below.
- Mast sleeve - The Optimist mast sleeve is fitted around the mast at deck level and protects the mast from wearing. If the sleeve is worn out, it's time to replace the sleeve. When mounting the sleeve, you will notice the sleeve is slightly smaller than the mast. To mount the sleeve you should gently warm the sleeve with a hairdryer or paint stripper. You can easily slide the warm sleeve over the mast into position. For the correct position, have a look in the Optimist mast sleeve manual.
- Deck collar - The Optimist deck collar is made of Delrin to create minimal friction between the sleeve and the collar. The oval inner diameter allows the maximum fore/aft and minimum side play and the tapered inner diameter allows the mast to be raked.
- Lacing lines - The Optimist lacing lines are being used to trim the sail. Check this lines one by one and replace if needed. Available as complete ready-to-use package and on 1.2mm and 2.2mm minireels.
- Control lines - Besides the lacing lines, an Optimist has several lines which are being used intense and has to be checked carefully. Your sprit halyard and vang, both Vectran or Dyneema, are recommended to replace in time. Use our Vectran minireel or Dyneema minireel, together with our stainless steel splicing needle for easy splicing.
- Rubber joint tiller extension - Don't let it break during a training or regatta! Replace your tiller extension rubber joint in advance. We advise a rubber joint with fibre core. The fibre core will avoid complete failure when the rubber tears. Mounted with a pin which is kept in place by a piece of heat shrinkable tubing.
- Buoyancy bags - Optimist buoyancy bags are important for safety reasons and for having less water in your Optimist after a capsize. Inflate your buoyancy bags before your first training and check the next day if they are still inflated. If not, then you will have to replace your buoyancy bag(s).
Please note, not to over inflate the buoyancy bags. When bags are properly filled, they will be soft to the touch. Over inflated bags may burst when heated up by the sun or rising temperatures. Make sure there are no sharp points in your boat that would snag or puncture the buoyancy bags.
Windesign Trapeze Harness
MIRA Comfort Harness. Allround harness with eight points spreader bar fixation, comfortable and adjustable leg straps, stainless steel tube spreader bar, adjustable back padding and tough-tech reinforced seat.
- Full back support
- Eight points spreader bar fixation
- Comfortable and adjustable leg straps
- Adjustable shoulder strap release system
- Neoprene covered stainless steel buckles
- PVC coated 600D polyester shell
- Stainless steel spreader bar
- Heavy-duty rear
EX2560 - available sizes: M, L, XL, XXL
Make your own 4:1 mainsheet block-ring combi
This year we introduced the 38mm Windesign low friction ring. Low friction rings can be used in various applications. The 38mm ring is mainly intended to create a 4:1 mainsheet system. Similar to our existing block combination, the EX1319, you can replace the 29mm Harken block by the 38mm Windesign ring. By changing this block, you create a low friction, less heavy and more durable block combination.
It's easy to create the block combination as shown below yourself. What you need to make the 4:1 mainsheet block-ring combination:
EX1314 - Harken 40mm block on Vectran line with a safety snap shackle
EX3003 - Windesign 38mm low friction ring
EX13672 - A bit of 2.2mm Vectran line
We have expanded our Windesign sailing gear range with a sunvisor. The performance mesh fabric and a plastic reinforced pre-curved peak ensures minimal water absorption. With an adjustable hook/loop closure and a comfortable 3-layer cotton sweatband, it's a perfect protection against the sun for eye and head and ideal for all dinghy sailors.
Now available in black and cyan:
EX2581B - Windesign Visor, black
EX2581C - Windesign Visor, cyan
Optimist halyard with low friction ring Windesign
Optimist Halyard system with low friction ring. This Optimist halyard is used on all black gold masts from 2017. The combination of Harken hook-in block, Dyneema spliced halyard line and Windesign low friction ring creates the most advanced halyard system on the market.
New in stock and available now:
EX1348 - Halyard with EX1351H and low friction ring
Low friction rings Windesign
The lightweight alternative to a block, with no moving parts these low friction rings are an extremely low maintainance item. Unlike some other manufacturers our low friction rings are hard anodized with PTFE coating to provide the smoothest wear resistant surface possible. The Windesign low friction rings are available in 2 sizes and can be used in various applications. Designed for Optimist, dinghy and serveral other classes.
New in stock and available now:
EX3002 - Windesign Low friction ring 25mm
EX3003 - Windesign Low friction ring 38mm
Pro line Optimist mainsheet
The combination of Black Technora, Dyneema, Polyester & Cordura creates the most advanced optimist double tapered mainsheet on the market. The mainsheet has extremely good wear resistance characteristics, has a total lenghth of 7,4m and is double tapered from 8 to 6 mm.
EX1379P - Pro line Optimist mainsheet
Improved Optimist 45mm inboard and outboard boom end
The adjustments we have made are:
- Edge: prevents the corner tie to slide off
- Weight: weights less than old design
- Design: fits better on the 45mm boom
EX1284 - Optimist inboard end for 45mm Racing boom
EX1285 - Optimist outboard end for 45 Racing boom
Hull support Optimist trolley
Optiparts is continuously developing and improving its products for the Optimist sailing class. The latest 2016 innovation is the Optiparts Optimist trolley with a new innovative hull support. With the new curved support the Optimist hull remains in perfect position. You can store the Optimist upside down or right side up. With the easy tie down eyelet you can easily secure the Opti boat with a tie-down line.
Both Optiparts Optimist trolleys are supplied with the new Optimist hull support design.
EX1076 - Optimist trolley with Optiflex wheels
EX1075 - Optimist trolley with small wheels
Optimist rigging instructions
NEW! Checkout our Optimist Rigging PDF manual with step by step instructions how to tie your knots. The knots instructions can also be viewed on our youtube channel.
Click here for the Youtube video
Click here for the Youtube video
Click here for the Youtube video
Now even the smallest helmsman can continue sailing in heavy wind. The Trisail from Optiparts is half of the size of a regular Optimist sail. Comes as a set with a sleeve mast, long mast extender, mini boom, with boom bumper head protector. The Trisail can also be used with a regular sleeve mast and boom with the addition of a 40cm mast extender.
EX1061M - Trisail Optimist sail
The History of the Optimist Dinghy
The 130-page history, illustrated by almost as many photos, the majority in colour, tells the story of how an 'Orange Crate' from the creeks of Florida came to become the junior dinghy used in over 120 countries and the first boat of over 80% of Olympic boat skippers.
EX1439 - History of the Optimist
Windesign Sailing Roller Bags
Waterresistant roller bags with aluminum telescopic and locking handles. Both are made of durable 1000D waterproof pvc cloth.
- PX-10 sailcloth pockets with velcro tabs on the outside
- Large main compartment with u-shaped double zip lid for easy access
- 3 pockets inside including a mesh pocket for storing dry clothes
- Huge 11 cm wheels on the large bag and 7 cm wheels on the smaller bag
- Load stabilizing compression straps to make the bag smaller if desired
- Two grab handles at each end for easy loading/unloading
- Removable shoulder strap with metal buckles
EX2622 - Roller bag, 66 x 37 x 36 cm, 88 liter
EX2624 - Roller bag, 74 x 43 x 39 cm, 124 liter
Mounting advice - Regatta Timer
Did you know that the Windesign Digital Regatta Timer can also be fixed to the airbag strap of an Optimist dinghy! Check out the Optiparts mounting advice video http://youtu.be/kKZojwDBmd4?
EX3010 - Digital regatta timer